Wednesday, August 22, 2007

August Roster Additions

I have to say that in July I was pretty happy with the players we picked up. Sadly, it's hard enough to get players to stay in Edmonton so its damn good that Sheldon Sourray is originally from Elk Point Alberta and played most of his Junior Hockey Career in Alberta. We don't want any whiny babies anyways.
The month of August for us was not as busy as the previous month. Our Oilers only picked up two players, Dustin Penner, and Geoff Paukovich. In Dustin Penner we get a 6'4" 243 lb right winger. I know some were happy with this move, but in all honesty I am not. I do not think he fits into the Oiler's style of hockey. What we need is scoring, but what we picked up in Penner is some grinding ability. Let's hope he proves me wrong.
With the signing of Geoff Paukovich we get yet another checker to supposedly add some offensive touch to our lineup. The NHL is a little different than NCAA and if you cant put up good numbers there, how the hell are you gonna put them up in the bigs. I'm not too excited about seeing Paukovich in our lineup, but, if we can get him to stand in front of the net on our powerplay, it could do us some good.
I was a much happier person in July when hearing of Pitkanen and Souray, than I am about getting Dustin Penner. I just hope to God he does good. We NEED you to score, WE REALLY DO. And please don't complain about the weather, or the city. After all, you're here to play hockey.

No comments: